Thursday, July 1, 2010

Good Things Happen

Ok so this story is going to start of sounding like im pretty up myself, but there is a moral to the story I promise!

I was getting lunch in town today, when I felt a tap on my shoulder, instantly reverting back to my formative teen years I momentarily suspected it was store security, about to nick me for the lip gloss I bought in the shop the week before but still had not openend!

I was pleasantly surprised, instead I had been approached by a complete stranger who was about to make my day.  "Let me just say, your hair is amazing, really beautiful, I hope that does not sound strange, but I just had to tell you".  OMG!

I have to admit, I was not expecting such a compliment, but I did manage an earnest "Thank you", and my world famous blush (if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about!).  And like that, my mystery giver of compliments was gone, but the feeling of pride lasted with me ALL DAY.

This lady could have easily walked past me and later told a friend about a girl she saw with great hair, she could have easily given me a crazy look to try to convey "great hair", but she took a leap of faith and actually gave me a compliment, and having done the same thing myself a few times, I can honestly say, its not as easy as you might think.  

Its actually quite scary to approach a stranger and offer a compliment, how odd is that, shouldn't  it be easy?  I mean I understand why it would be weird to walk up to someone and say "oh boy, you are ugly", but why is it so hard to offer a compliment?  

To be honest, I think its because we dont do it very often.  Its like wearing vintage hair do's.  Sure it looks great (the compliments speak for themselves), but it was actually quite scary for me to wear my do to work for the first time.  It's quite a statement compared to the standard bun and bobby pins!

So the moral of the story is this:  TRY IT.  I think that the feeling that you will get from offering a compliment, is as good as the feeling the reciever will have!  You get to feel proud that you found your voice, and that you have made someones day, and they get to feel great about that scary new hair do, or new pair of shoes, or great tie.  Of course all compliments have to be genuine, but when you see a chance to give one, take it!!

As for trying out your new red lipstick, or upsweep, or handsome slacks, the more you do it, the easier it is!  I now have a range of vintage dos that I wear to work and now I cant believe I ever used to rock up just with boring hair! 

Whether giving a compliment, or dressing to recieve one, do it with confidence and you will be fine!!


Top photo is my work do, middle photo is my clean hair do, and bottom photo is my in the kitchen look!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment