Monday, February 23, 2009

Stray Cats - Aust Tour

Well - of course I had to go see the Stray Cats, they are after all the reason I dance! Its a long and confusing tale, of bribing bouncers at clubs with baked cheese cakes, teaching said bouncers to knit on the job, and watching the film clip to Jump Jive and Wail.

The long and the short of it is this, that film clip inspired me to do my first ever swing dance lesson, wayyyyy back in the day and the song itself has since resulted in many a frenzied dance at a variety of venues, and this weekend I was hoping to bust out my best at the Forum in melb.. BUT.. fail.

Even though they did a few of my other fave's (including Stray Cat Strut) they did not do "my" song. I left feeling slightly disappointed, that I did not get my song, but plenty happy that I managed to see them at all!

At the end of the evening I had seen a drummer stand on his drums, the bass player pick up his bass and play it like it was a mandolin, both the drummer and the bass player punch the day lights out of their instruments, and Brian's hair stay in place all night.. not bad for Friday night!

Even though it had nothing to do with swing, the other high light of the night was popping across the road to the pub and busting out to random pub cover band "Drive". At least three hrs and as many pints of Little Creatures later, I was blistered, deaf, exhausted, and ready to go home!

Massive shout out to Kara, for being as always my booking agent and tour guide - without her, i probably could not dress myself in the mornings. Also big thanks to the fine Melb peeps who put us up for the weekend, nothing beats a fold out couch, a warm shower, and a glass of red at bed time! And a crazy hoorah for the swing crew who danced in the street, fed square, myer and other assorted venues on Sunday.. stay tuned for links to more info!

No comments:

Post a Comment