Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tell me lies - tell me sweet little lies..

Righto - Turns out there have been some fibs that have been told, and im here to expose the truth!  When I first started to learn to blues dance, I was told:
1 - Its easy, its just like walking
2 - its NOT a spectator sport, its all about dancing with your partner
3 - Its sexy

LIES

If blues dancing was easy and just like walking, the level one blues class this month would not be as popular as it is.  If blues dancing was just like walking, I've been walking wrong for my whole life and heck if it were easy, why does everyone have their "concentrating like I have to do a poo" face on in the middle of class (yes I see all when perched at the door..).  I have never seen so many open mouths and deep forehead furrows as I have in this class, then again, I dont think I have ever seen as many "yay" moments either so you gotta take the wins with you!

If blues is not a spectator sport then why the heck am I so mesmerized by everyone bottoms?  I could not look away, it was a deep sea of wiggles and wobbles and hips doing their thing.  Lord if I knew so many boys could move like that, I would have had a boylesque troupe and stopped messing around with princesses!! (actually, the offer is still on the table guys!!).  I get it, when its done right you should feel like youre the only girl in the room, like he is dancing with you and it does not matter who is watching - but lets face it, if we did not love attention, we would not be learning to dance, and we would not be learning to do that stuff with our hips that you were learning last night! Do it and be proud, if there is one thing gravity will take care of for you its momentum, the corner stone of all our dancing esp blues, so don't fight it, throw your hands up and give into it and be proud!

This brings me to my final point.  I hear a lot that the popular opinion is that blues dancing is sexy, that its dirty sexy fun and it should be done when the lights are low and the blood is hot.. Just think about that for one second, because I have felt this way before, I'm not gonna lie to you.. I think we have all been there, but think of it this way.  If you think of blues as the sex of dancing, you are sexing on husbands, fathers, boyfriends (MY boyfriend), girlfriends, mums, you see where I'm going with this.. I'm not denying that it should feel good, but it should not feel that good in that special way.. If you would be mad to see your parner do it in club with some hot young stranger, dont do it in your blues dancing!

I think if anything, everyone is learning to love moving to blues music, learning skills you can take with you through your lindy, I'm  pretty excited to be at this years TasSwing Ball because I honestly believe after a few months of blues classes, you will see an improvement across the board in all of your dancing, and will finally be able to do those funky moves that you see Kara and Mr Quinn bust out all the time!

1 comment:

  1. This months block of Blues has been awesome for G and I to see how far everyone has come. With 3 weeks down we've already seen improvement in everyone's dancing! Thanks for all the support and turning up in droves!
    You all rock my world.
    Thanks for this post too Relle. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete