Tuesday, May 11, 2010

how to get goodness in your life before dawn (settle down!)

Response to my comments in my "how rude" blog sparked a flurry of story sharing, maybe I had better balance it out with a nice blog?

The other weekend, when I found myself too awake too early one morning, I snuck outside for one of my many guilty pleasures. 

I crept out of bed, put on my beanie and my short jimmy - jam bottoms,  unlocked the laundry door and took a deep breath in.

Slowly, slowly I unsteadily pattered down the concrete steps, growing ever more excited about what was about to happen next.. 

My feet were bare and super sensitive after relaxing for hours in my silky soft sheets, they could not wait to be on top of the cool and damp grass that was yet to be mowed in the back yard. The ground was wet with dew, and colder than I thought it would be, but it was so incredibly refreshing.  

At first I felt a little silly walking around in my jammas at some crazy hour of the morning, but I realised, just about everyone else would have been in bed asleep so all I could do was close my eyes and really concentrate on the morning around me.

A couple of birds were awake, dawn had not started when I took my first step outside, but it must not have been far away, the sky was looking clear and calm, and had started to get lighter without really seeing day break yet.  I knew it would not be long before the rest of the world would be up and getting on with their lives.. I felt I had not much more time to enjoy this guilty pleasure.

Toward the bottom end of the garden, there is a patch of grass that gets a little muddy, that is where I really wanted to be!  Slowly, deliberatly, I made my way across the grass, to where the mud was thick enough to creep between my toes, and to where if I needed to, I could hang onto the fence for support!

I stood on that spot until the mud around my feet had reached my body teperature, when that happens its time to find a new spot to stand on.. but on that day, it signaled time to head back inside, to see what early morning dreams if any, might visit me after my adventure in the yard.

On tip toes till I could make it to the sink, I felt little blops of mud left behind by my big toe and the balls of my feet, on this occasion the mud was already starting to dry and was not as slippy as I had hoped for!  With all the flexibility I could muster, I kicked each foot into the sink, one at a time to wash the dirt and dew off with freezing cold water - warm water just seems like cheating for some reason!

Doing a little dance on the bath towel that had been left on the floor from the night before, I did my best to dry off my tootsies before heading back to bed. 

As I slid back down between the top sheet and the bottom sheet, I could still smell the outside, I could still feel the cold of the air against my face and the ground against my feet.. Just imagine it - I can tell you're smiling!  Even in the middle of winter there is something about it that makes me so very happy!

Next time you cant sleep, don't lay there tossing and turning.  Kick off your bed socks and go for a little mission around your yard!  Not only will you fall to sleep within minutes of coming back inside, the peace you achive in your sleep will be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment