Friday, May 7, 2010

How Rude

I feel a Friday morning rant coming on!

Today I was walking down the street to get to work when in the distance I saw three well dressed men.  One looked to be mid 20's, the other mid 30's and the eldest I would say around about mid 50's.

I'm betting they were on their way to work, standard wool suits, cups of store bought coffee and that huddled walk that work colleagues seem to get. 

We were approaching each other at the same speed, me trying to get to my work, them trying to get to theirs, and then within moments we were approaching the same ground, the same bit of space on the foot path.. and then it happened.

I was rail roaded OFF the foot path, these guys kept their huddle - they kept their speed, until the last minute when they slowed down, but did not part their seas of uselessness.  Instead I had to step off the foot path, take a scenic tour around these guys and then get back onto the foot path!  HOW RUDE.

Don't get me wrong - I was not expecting one of these guys to take off his jacket, lay it across a puddle and bow as I walked past, I didn't even expect one of them to walk off the footpath and into the gutter, what would have been nice though is if they had broken their huddle, used some sort of sense of decency, and through some spacial awareness, we all could have made our way to work without leaving the footpath.

I don't think that being a swing dancer has given me unrealistic expectations for how gentlemen and ladies should behave, I do think though that my morning would have started off a lot better if these guys had just taken a moment to think about common courtesy and social politeness.  I'm not a vindictive person - but I hope one of them sneezed and spilt his burning coffee all over everyone else!!

Rant over.

2 comments:

  1. Probably Polyester suits too - the cads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're back!

    I had a not so gentlemanly experience on the way to work as well. A cyclist rammed the front wheel of his bike into my back wheel while I was stopped at a traffic light. No damage done, but it was a bit of a jolt. I turned around and saw a sunglassed face looking elsewhere... not at me. Certainly no apology. He then whizzed past me when the light turned green.

    Thankfully we have some very gentlemanly gentlemen at dancing...perhaps it will rub off on the wider Hobart community of un-gentlemanly men.

    ReplyDelete